Wednesday, 13 February 2013

Yes, its vintage dahhling

So yesterday I had a really good day. I went into town with one of my friends from out of school and we decided to go vintage shopping. Sadly I didn't really see anything that caught my eye, but I can't wait to go again! In Glasgow there are actually loads of great vintage and charity shops, so many that we actually didn't even get to look in half of them. So I've decided to do a quick post about the ones that we went to which are in the centre of town, just a short walk away from Glasgow Central Station. If you live in the Glasgow area, or are ever just visiting, these will definitely be a highlight of your trip.

Okay, the first shop that we went to was Mr Ben. I've been to it several times before and it's just great. It's quite big and the rails are stuffed full of all sorts of different pieces, of all sorts of styles and from different eras. It's really quirky and many a time I've seen groups of fashionable art students in there. Also, its relatively cheap, although I think it does depend on what you buy. Certainly it's much cheaper than the urban renewal pieces in Urban outfitters, only a few minutes walk down the road, and the pieces you buy in Mr Ben are much more unique. There are lots of designer pieces to be found, at reasonable prices (including almost a whole rail of Burberry trench coats! There is also a huge collection of handbags, gloves, jewellery and other accessories. I could have spent hours looking through all of the gorgeous handbags. Many online reviews say that this is the best vintage shop in Glasgow, and I think it would be difficult to find anywhere better.




Then we walked just a little bit up the road to The City Retro, another great wee shop, smaller that Mr Ben, but still very nice. It too is stuffed full of all sorts of vintage goodies. It has a good selection of womenswear and menswear. Some of the guys' Arran jumpers were to die for! My friend and I spent ages looking through all of the silk scarves that they had. Lovely little shop and can't wait to go back!



Then we walked along on to the High Street, where we went to Eco Chic Boutique. As well as vintage clothes they also sell things that have been up-cycled and some pieces by local designers. It is a gorgeous little shop, very modern and full of pretty little things. Its pretty cheap but also very nice, and you know that you're supporting local crafts people.They sell very cute handmade peter pan collars, and bow-ties They don't have a huge selection of vintage clothes, just a few rails but what they do have is very nice and if I had the money I would buy the lot! As well as vintage clothes they have accessories, including handbags and shoes. I'm so glad I discovered this little place! This is now one of my favourite shops in Glasgow, will definitely be going back soon! 






Then we went next door to the Britannia Panopticon Charity shop. This is one of the nicest charity shops I've been in and is stuffed full of all sorts of cool stuff. There were hundreds of records, books, videos and DVDs plus quite a large selection of clothes including lots of costumes and things. Again I will be returning here, it is a little treasure chest! Also all the money raised is for a good cause, restoring one of the oldest music halls, right here in Glasgow, to its former glory.  



The final shop I visited was Barnardos Vintage on Wilson Street. It too is for a great cause, although their vintage section is relatively small. Saying that, lots of the clothes that they had in the "regular" section were very nice. I even spied a pair of Versace jeans! They also had some very pretty dresses, and a selection of CDs and DVDs. 



I can't wait to go again, hopefully with some more money this time! I would really recommend all of these shops, you may have to explore new areas of Glasgow rather than the familiar Buchanan Street and Argyll Street. However what you will find is fantastic, and actually this is only a very small selection of the vintage and charity shops. Here is a map of all the shops that I know of in Glasgow and feel free to leave a comment telling me about any more great little shops you know of. 

Love,
Ray xx


6 comments:

  1. Wow I thought I was hardcore finding a Zara parka coat in Cats Protection! These shops look amazing! Great post! I will get back to you about the parcel exchange!
    thecoolcustomer.wordpress.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thanks, I love these shops and there are even more in the west end of GlasgowI am so excited to go explore them one day :D WOO so excited would be great to do one with you! xxx

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh I just looove vintage! My favorite vintage shop ever is in Paris and it has loads of old sailor stripey tops<3

    Greta xoxo
    laviedegreta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! That sounds like a lovely place, I've always wanted to go to Paris, it seems like such a romantic city xxx

      Delete
  3. oh god i love these shops they're amazing. sadly all the vintage shops here are super expensive...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I guess I'm quite lucky these ones are relatively cheap, charity shops are amazing though, and I love car boot sales too! x

      Delete